There are shoes that fall between trail runners and boots. I wear a low-cut leather hiking shoe that weighs just under 2 pounds. I wear it off trail, with strap-on crampon if I will be on ice for only about an hour (a bit painful for all day use), on scree, loose rock, sand, gravel, beaches, snow, hideous bushwhaking, everything. I also wear gaiters with them all the time - breathable low for summer, waterproof high ones for snow. I also replace the in sole with superfeet. And wear one pair of thick smartwool socks.

If I were only doing trails, then I go even lighter with tennis shoes (1 lb 4 oz).

I wear size 7 (womens) and this I think is important - small people can get by with lighter shoes than large footed heavy people. Even when I have a 10-day pack the total load on my shoes is under 145 pounds. Because my feet are relatively small, the shoe and sole thickness is relatively thicker for me than for a larger person. Thus the shoe is stiffer. A lot of support simply comes from a good fit and properly laced shoes, not weight or whether it is a low-cut or boot.

I wore very heavy mountaineering boots most of my life. Then about 15 years ago, my ankles would get so bruised that I could no longer wear boots. If I wear a boot now, I will end up crippled for months. I have been forced to go to only low-cut shoes. I have tried a variety - even a 120 mile 12-day trip with 25% off trail and carrying climbing gear with Saucony running shoes! (went over Harrison Pass too!) I have now backed off the super light weight to leather low cuts - mainly because I would totally trash a pair of sneakers in a month.

So - I would say, give the tennis shoes a try - but replace the insole with something a bit more substantial - such as superfeet. It just may work for you.