Originally Posted By arolfsen
Originally Posted By ChrisFol
Originally Posted By arolfsen
i found a snugpak 20 degree that compresses down to 7x7, which is more the size i'm looking for.

You asked for a zero degree bag, not a 20 degree bag! A 20 degree bag is no good for winter camping in most of the U.S.

yea. i was looking for a compromise. i'd really like it to pack smaller than 2 basket balls sitting next to each other. i'm a space freak. the smaller the better.

When do you plan on backpacking, 3-seasons or winter and where do you plan on taking most of your trips?

People generally do not compromise the temp of their bag to save space. For three season use then a bag rated +15 to +25 is fine for most of the U.S. In some areas you could even get away with a +30 or +35 degree bag. Anything below +15 is considered for winter use, and with this generally comes a heavier and bulkier bag to keep to you warm during the colder temps.

Furthermore, people usually have two sleep systems, one for 3-season and one for winter (if applicable). Why carry the weight of a zero degree bag in the heigh of summer only to overheat at night.

In summary, decide when/where you will use the bag and purchase accordingly.