Originally Posted By justme
so your saying a down sleeping bag will most likely get ruined if it gets wet?

No it won't - but it won't be very warm. It will be less warm wet than a synthetic bag would be, and take longer to dry. No wet sleeping bag works well wink I use a lightweight down bag. I'm also very careful to keep it dry.

Quote:

Im old school and all i have ever used is a pack with an external frame. I have never used one witout one. atleast not on a camping trip so im not sure if i will like them. i guess i would like to see the pros and cons of both

Do you have an old external frame pack now? If so, my advice to you is to buy your *other* gear first, and carry it for a while on a few trips with your old pack. *then* once you have settled on your gear, start trying on a few packs and decide what is comfortable for you with the load and volume you are carrying. This avoids the problem of choosing a pack based on what you think you *might* carry as opposed to what you are *actually* carrying. If you want to keep your load minimal you probably don't want the same pack for a 20 lb load as for hauling out quarters of dead forest creature and carrying 80 pound loads up a mountain.

Quote:

when i think of a tent i think of not getting wet or i would just sleep in a bag outside. i want something if it starts pooring that its not going to come through my tent and get all my $h!t plus me wet. So basically i want something with and excellent rainfly and floor. if i have to pay more than 250 so be it. I dont like buying crap. I guess i would like to keep all my gear under or around 20lbs

http://www.tarptent.com (look at the upper left of this site)
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/

and many other options. A decent modern tent won't leave you wet.

Your other alternative is to just use a tarp, or a tarp and hammock.

Edited by phat (02/08/10 03:30 PM)
Browse my pictures