To me, practicing lightweight/ultralight backpacking is a facet of comfort on the trail. But 'comfort' itself has many facets besides a light pack. There's the comfort of warmth or being cool, a fully belly, good tasting food, going to bed feeling really clean and fresh, a good 'bed' and getting up feeling really good in the morning, the joy of having certain 'toys' (cameras, mp3 players, a favorite piece of gear, etc.)...

It's not all about cutting out the non-essentials...at least not for me. In fact, I cut weight so that I can more easily justify the non-essentials or the extravagant, e.g., my nearly six-ounce insulated mug.

From my early days in the Scouts I've been a big advocate for comfort. Our backpacking motto back then was, "Any fool can be uncomfortable." In other words, if it's not fun or doesn't feel good, why do it?

To me, 'luxury' items have their own place in comfort on the trail. If I dropped all mine out I'd save a pound or three. But I wouldn't be near as happy of 'comfortable'. Besides, one hiker's luxury is another's essential. smile

FB