I thoroughly agree - and it's not just the troop leadership. We're located in a farming town on the fringe of the Council, which is headquarted in a large city. As a result, the professional leadership is very much urban-oriented. A few years ago, they had to sell some land to keep from going under. They kept the small camp with 2 miles of "trail" in the middle of the city (in the approach pattern for the airport, about a mile from the interstate) and sold the big camp out in the country, with its 15 miles of trail, horse ranch, lake (with canoes) and wildlife. That said everything there was to say about their priorities.

I tried to get an annual backpacking weekend beginner's training, and an annual winter camping training started - the professional Scouters were invited, but never showed up because (get this) it cut into their weekend! The other country troops showed up, but that's not enough to keep the program going.

So, I've found some other youth groups to work with, and left my name with the local troops if they're interested. Very few takers.

I envy the Councils which encourage strong outdoor programs; it's a shame there aren't more.