phat
Colin Powell would not approve of the modern Boy Scouts. It changed around 1964. Suddenly you needed a permit to carry a pocket knife or to use an axe and all of the "wood lore and craft" was dropped as having too much impact and suddenly you needed the helping mum in the kitchen and being a good church member merit badges to become an Eagle. We laughed at Eagle scouts. laugh When I was a scout there were only a few merit badges that any self respecting scout wanted, besides being first class, they were hiking, marksmanship, and fishing. My troop backpacked every month except January, and the only reason most of us showed up at meetings was because it was required to go on the trips.
Now days you only have to discuss how to set up a fire, not actually light it because after all matches are dangerous and heaven forbid that a scout would chop something. I learned to be an expert axeman in the scouts and as senior patrol leader, I chopped all of the wood for camp.
Geez we heard they even started letting girls join the boy scouts, we all wondered if coed tenting would be allowed. Nobody wanted to camp with girls though. And I remember the list of crap for summer camp - clean underwear for a week etc. My mom packed a huge suitcase for me and I put it under my cot and did not open it. I took it home with everything in it still folded neatly.
Jim