I've been living and breathing lightweight/ultra-lightweight for several years and still regularly learn more. It will be a process for you. Buy a few things, use them, sell some, buy more. Many of us are called "gear junkies" for a reason. There are several of us in the MN area.

I've acquired most of my used gear on the backpackinglight.com "gear swap" forum. There's lots of great gear there that isn't the "latest, greatest, lightest" with plenty of useful life left.

This site has a gear for sale forum as well. Take a little time to read and watch the forums, and you'll get most of what you need to get started. As you gain experience, you can replace some of your earlier gear by selling it with different gear (used or new).

I've acquired 5 tents in maybe 3 years, and still own and like 4 of them. I liked the 2 man Squall Tarptent I don't have anymore alot, but traded to another lightweight guy in St. Louis Park for his one man Contrail Tarptent.

I started with a $10 REI rental sleeping bag from their garage sale a few years ago, and now have, I believe, 6 bags. The latest one is a used down bag on its way to me from Germany. My Western Mountaineering Megalite bag is still brand new, never used. If I don't use it, I can get all my money that I paid for it back. I've only sold one bag (again, that I liked alot) to a guy whose son had his pack stolen. I've gotten great synthetic bags for no more than $50. The best 3 season used down bags can easily go for $200-$280.

All of my backpacks have cost me under $60—both new and used. I expect I have at least 5 (again, from only the past few years) for anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks plus assorted smaller ones.

Scrounge around, wheel and deal, and you'll find what you need. Lots of enthusiasts are sitting on gear they've replaced, but will part with for a reasonable cost. I've bought very few new things for this hobby.

I'm a gear junkie, and I know it. Good luck to you.