Jim:

Quote:
have you ever cooked quinoa while camping?

No on the quinoa-while-quamping-cooking. It takes too long to cook (like rice), as Sarbar noted a while back. The thing to do is just go ahead and make it all up before the trip and haul the "salad" in a thin-plastic sandwich-type container (that's a 1/3 the weight of any tupperware-things out there,) and eat it early in the hike.

And I'm not sure, Jim, if a pinto and a black bean are the same thing. The black beans I'm talking about are the staple food of Cuba and in almost every dish I ever had in Miami (or served on the side), and they are addicting -- and good for you, too. The Cubans that stayed and hung in there with Castro (is he really still alive??) somehow survived on them (and little else) for 50+ years.

I'll post an image of this quinoa "dish" within the next couple of days.

(also, you don't have to cook quinoa twice, but wash it once before cooking. This Incan seed from the Andes has a natural bitter coating (to repel birds and high-altitude sunlight). You, in fact, may be washing it "twice" since all quinoa coming into the US from a reputable source is washed before packaging.)

Quote:
Pintos are awesome if you're camped alone...

I catch your drift . . . as long as I'm not camping downwind. eek

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)