No, don't get a whoppin heavy pack just because you want to carry camera gear!

I hiked the 'hundred and Katahdin in Sept with my usual lightweight pack (SMD Starlight), but carried my Contax G1 rangefinder camera plus three Carl Zeiss lenses, flash, cable release, etc in a well-padded camera bag on a shoulder strap. Slik Sprint mini tripod was in a bag on the side of the pack, so my wife could hand it to me if needed.

So I looked goofy with a camera bag, but it worked out pretty well and I got some nice shots. The weight in front helped balance the weight in back, and I could get at the camera when I needed it without removing the backpack. The camera was well protected in the bag and was not damaged, despite some fairly rough hiking conditions. Plus, I had sewn up a rain cover for the camera bag, so the camera gear stayed dry in a few days of hiking in rain.

Generally you will need a tripod on the AT because it is so darn dark in the green tunnel.

It was a dream come true to hike the AT with a professional camera setup.

Everyone else used tiny plastic chinese digitals. Sure, if you take enough shots with a cheap point and shoot you might end up with a few good ones, which is like saying that an infinite number of monkeys on typewriters will eventually write Shakesphere's MacBeth.