Originally Posted By Jimshaw
phat
That makes me wonder about how weight efficient the item is at nearly 2 pounds knowing that you like to go light. I'm sure its going to add warmth, but I wonder how much. It also mentions protecting you bag from moisture, I wonder if that would have as much effect for my usage since I have a seam sealed goretex sleeping bag?

Well, I'm normally a two-sleeping bag guy in winter anyway, since I've never sprung the mucho moolah for a single -30 rated down bag like an MEC Thor or a WM Puma. I supposed if I really wanted to go light in winter I'd be spending the dollars on that. But what I normally end up doing is taking my down bag (rated about -10) and sticking it inside a rectangular synthetic bag. I'm not so much interested in the exterior shell moisture resistance, my tack is to have an overbag that's keeping the frost layer out of my down bag, since I don't use a VBL. it's worked well for me - so I'll probably end up using the emperor penguin for a similar kind of way, instead of the (much heavier) rectangular synthetic bag.

At least - Santa hasn't decided to bring me a WM puma yet, and I simply can't justify that kind of money for a couple of winter trips a year when I know the gear I have, if a little bit heavier, works fine in the deep cold.

Browse my pictures