Hey, those folks have been very nice to me and I've asked some very basic questions about traditional v. modern gear. smile

I really don't see the contentiousness you are talking about and it has nothing to do with being Canadian, which I think everyone here knows I am not. I fessed up to being in California and just a curious interloper up front and that didn't seem to bother anyone.

Harlan and Hoop, who run the site are Canadian and American, respectively and many of the members are on our side of the border.

I really enjoy hearing about the traditional way of doing things because it is so different from the high tech focus of forums like this one. There is a lot of great information there about winter camping that I would never had learned without visiting that site. Sure, I may not be buying a Snowtrekker tent and stove anytime soon or walking around on 4 foot long snowshoes, but so what?

The whole sash argument is just silly. If people want to follow some of the old traditions, good for them. If you don't like the idea, don't wear one. Personally, I think they are kind of cool.

I posted my pics from Yosemite and got some nice comments from people, who liked seeing the mountains. I even said I was reluctant to do so since I'm a "modern" camper and people said, hey, we like seeing what others are doing.

I'm sorry to see people from here so upset about the site, but I have to tell you, I don't get it.