I have signed out of the winter trekking group. I can't handle the contentious attitude of that group. When I first started I made a comment "Gee I didn't realise this group is only for Canadians who hot camp and wear voyager clothes". A moderator told me that they welcome input from anyone who camps on frozen water and that they want to hear about other peoples experiences, but they don't and they are hostile to anyone who suggests other ways of doing things. I do this for fun. smile I have however done quite a bit of research into the canvas tents and stove thing, enough to know that I'm not interested. I'm not saying they're methods are wrong, however I feel no need to spend $100 on a "sash" which is a fancy woven belt, nor to add 45 pounds to my pack to keep warm - of course phat has a UL hot tent, but then I think hes a lot smarter than his brethren. I think the Canadians are stuck in the 18th century though. They might drum him out if they new he carried a 5 pound hot tent made of something beside caribou skin, err I mean canvas.
Jim crazy win some lose some...