Ski pants are not only too warm but probably too tight. I really like Smartwool for my baselayer. Then all I need is a breathable water-resistant baggy light pant for walking or skiing. I also like substatial insulation to put on immediately when stopped for camp - like down pants and a huge down parka -can be part of the sleep system. You really cool off fast when you stop in the winter. My parka had a tunnel hood with fur (I believe it was coyote fur). Good for pre-warming the air for breathing. My winter experience has mainly been in very cold-dry conditions where there was no need for waterproof outer ware. In fact in often never got above zero during the day but was always sunny. Even at that, I never was cold skiing in wool and wind pants. Keeping feet warm may be the biggest challenge. Make sure they are big enough - particularly a very boxy toe area. You should be able to wiggle toes with all the socks on you will wear. I prefered bare hands or thin wool gloves for skiing and mittens for camp. I like the mitts with inner gloves that you can pull up the mitts and use gloves when you have to use your fingers. All this said, I have not done winter trips in many years. I am sure there is some nice new winter gear available now that we did not have in the past.