It is true that, as they say, if you chop wood it warms you twice! Once while you're chopping and again when you burn it.

I remember the time my parents decided to try late fall camping with an 8'x10' canvas tent and a "sheepherder" stove. In order to do this they had to add an extra pack horse! My mother learned to bake awesome biscuits and even yeast bread in the little oven! But she was able to do the same on a campfire, using stainless steel pie or cake tins instead of a dutch oven.

I've seen some folks get along quite successfully winter camping with a pyramid tent. It does require quite steep sides, though, and occasionally some midnight shoveling during a really heavy snowfall.

Me? I've given up camping in the winter. It's not so much the snow and the cold but the long nights we have here above 45* latitude. I can't stand spending so much time in the tent! From mid-October to early March, I stick with day hiking.