I think the Cosby area is my favorite part of the park. Just got back from an early November jaunt starting in Big Creek, up to Mt. Sterling, down to Cataloochee, back up and over to Walnut Bottom (campsite 37) and then out along the AT over Cammerer. Great trip.

It helped that we had 3 of the clearest days I have ever seen in the park. 3 full days and nights where I could see the stars, no fog and no clouds in the sky. Really quite novel!

I have been on top of Sterling twice before but have never seen the view due to weather, but we go a fantastic sunset and sunrise. Lovely.

Unfortunately Cammerer did not cooperate. Day 5 of our trip took us from Cosby Knob Shelter back to Big Creek and it rained nonstop the whole day. Still, the rocky trail out to Cammerer was beautiful in that weather. I later heard that it rained for 30 hours strait with over 2" total rainfall.

Highlights from that area of the park for me are the Balsam Mountain Trail, Mt. Sterling and the Sterling Ridge Trail, Mt. Cammerer and the AT is always nice (if not a bit crowded).

Take special care when staying at campsite 37. The mice there are voracious! We once had one stealing gorp from our food bag (on the cable bearbag lines!!!) It took about a cup of gorp from our foodbag and started to make a nest with it in another persons pack.

Then on this most recent stay at 37, I had to expel one from my tent. I never knew a mouse could run around on a vertical piece of noseeum. I'm just glad he didnt chew his way out.

Anyway, have a great trip!