Quote:

You need to establish very specific guidelines with your wife on what you will do and what she will do. 48 hours overdue is a LONG time.

Well, some would say yes and some would say no. On a weekender
I'd say yes, that's too long. on a five day trip I'm talking about I do say two days. (and I do have these discussions with her)

I would contend on my 5 day trip I've said here, *I* am personally comfortable with 48 hours. I've spent extra time out unplanned before. If I delayed by that much, yes it's a long time to wait, but I'll be brutally honest (I won't with my wife) I have a PLB and know my skills. The scenario where you are going to find me alive after more than 48 hours where I have NOT pushed the plb button is the one above. Alternatively I will have been seriously hurt and pushed the PLB "I can haz helicopter?" button. I used to worry about 48 hourse before I carried the plb. Now I know It's either gonna be the scenario above, or a body hunt. Anything else I'd have pushed the button.

Quote:

e.g., 48 in summer, 24 in winter) you will trigger the device if you know you're not reasonably close to making the trailhead. They're likely to be gearing up for a search anyway, and it will help ease their task.

And therein is the dilemma.. I know this. The problem is my pushing the button in this scenario is technically illegal in canada, and I believe also in the united states.. I could be charged and face a very hefty fine for doing so.

Quote:

If it labels you "yuppie" instead of "Bear Grylls" so be it.

I *Am* a yuppie. I'm educated beyond my intelligence and have a carbon footprint the size of a small african town. Being called a yuppie I can accept.

Being called Bear Grylls is fighting words. What I'm not is a dangerously deceptive idiot selling senstionalism. Call me a yuppie anyday.

Edited by phat (12/03/09 05:45 PM)
Browse my pictures