(Preamble) This is why the SPOT concept, if perfected, is preferable to a PLB. But they have yet to prove it to my satisfaction.

You need to establish very specific guidelines with your wife on what you will do and what she will do. 48 hours overdue is a LONG time. I'd advise she contact authorities after, say 12 hours explaining you're overdue and that you have a PLB. They'd probably know if one had been triggered (and how does that process work, exactly?). At that point, the right folks know someone's overdue. Your further understanding should be that after X hours over your agreed time (e.g., 48 in summer, 24 in winter) you will trigger the device if you know you're not reasonably close to making the trailhead. They're likely to be gearing up for a search anyway, and it will help ease their task.

Whether it's an equipment failure, moderate injury or illness, at some point S&R response is warranted. If it labels you "yuppie" instead of "Bear Grylls" so be it.

Cheers,

Rick

Originally Posted By phat

To be clear and avoid ambiguity..

I will be two or three days late. yes, I don't know that at the outset - so I have decisions to be made as I get later and later.

I do build "fudge factor" into that, so assume I also know my wife will probably be calling for help after 48 hours - She will know my start point, exit point, planned route, and expected out time, So I'm +48 hours past the fudge factor.