The "what if you get sick" thread here has me thinking, and I'm gonna post to start the discussion, because I honestly don't know a good answer here.

I solo a fair bit. I always tell my wife, dad, neighbor and a buddy (all on my plb contact list) where I'm going and when I'm expected back.

So, here's the thing. Let's say I have my bout of vomiting and diahreaa.. I'm not gonna die.. I'm just sick. but I'm two or three days into five days of trail. I'm expected home three days from now, but I'm sick and really can't go on. I can hole up in my hammock. stay hydrated, sleep and get better for a day or two, and then probably walk out fine, say, two or three days late. There's nobody else around to tell hiking through, and I have no cell coverage.

So there's your scenario. For argument's sake, let's say I'm oh, hmm.. Somewhere in Jasper park. I know being two days late, my Wife's probably gonna call the Ranger's office.

I'm certainly NOT going to tell my wife not to expect me
on a particular day, that's pretty basic safety..

So, here's my dilemma.. I *have* a PLB with me. I am *not* in danger of life or limb. at worst I'm a bit uncomfortable, need to rest, and maybe wash out some shorts sick I'm not looking for "yuppie 911". I have adequate supplies. On the flip side, I know I'm probably gonna have people looking for me if my wife calls..

So.. What am I to do.. Push button? or not push button?

(For the record, If you're gonna make me make the call now, I'd
probably *not* push the button... but if sar showed up to find me nothing worse than having the trots and the barfs, I'd feel pretty bad about it...)

Opinions (Especially if you fly SAR)?
Browse my pictures