Actually Jim, we camped at the designated sites on the East side of the Reservoir. It is not too bad of a car camping site. They have toilets, no reservations and no fee. It is also remote enough that most people don't know of the place.
The wind was coming from the south. For some reason, that valley (extending all the way to the Salt Lake) gets really strong northerly winds fairly regular. I live in a city that is north of the reservoir (about an hour). It was blowing with the same consistency at my house when we left. Some day I will set up my tarp in my back yard to test it out in 30 mph winds crazy .

Here are the tents we used. Springbar They weigh around 60 lbs for the models we have. They really can handle the wind. Apparently they have been to Wyoming in the open, and have taken a strong winds for weeks at at time. I really like them. They are really easy to set up and take down, and very comfortable. But, you can't take them backpacking. I guess a bivy is the best solution for backpacking.