HD, for me it is a knock on wood thing. My neurologist decided that for me it is a form of a migraine - that comes with no headache. My brother and father all had severe migrianes as I was growing up, but I didn't start getting bad ones until my early 30's. From what I described of some of my dad's worse ones he most likely suffered from vertigo ones as well (at that moment I really wished he was alive to ask him). They are a type of migraine that is often overlooked and not given any attention.

For me we realized I did have signals before hand. For a couple days before I would have horrid headaches in the back of my neck and head, slowing working up to the top of my head. Then it would stop. And then, bam.

Around 3 years ago they took me off of ALL artificial dyes, lowered my sodium consumption tremendously and I went on a a steady diet of BP pills as well. This has for the most part controlled it. Like my brother and dad, red food dyes are very bad for me. I had to change my BP meds this year and ended up with headaches for the first time in a couple years - they didn't control them as well. It seems beta blockers can nearly stop them.

I'd be looking into the stress that wood chopping does to you - it may well be a trigger, the up and down, up and down. That can play havoc with your brain quickly.

PS: My other issue we solved is I have to stay hydrated when hiking. Get dehydrated and I get vertigo twinges fast - due to my BP going in the basement (BP pills + dehydration can cause low BP quickly).