I have a 2005 SMD Comet backpack, 27 ounces including the "optional" (mandatory, IMHO) aluminum stays. I have pressure-sensitive shoulders so badly need those load-lifters, which don't work very well without the stays. I've carried up to 37 lbs. with it. My shoulders, back and hips were fine, although my feet and knees were screaming. My normal load is 20-25 lbs, but last summer when my dog got sick I carried most of his food and water, so was again up to 30 lbs. for a day. Unfortunately the Comet has been discontinued. Too bad, because the internal pad pocket is great for those of us using air pads and I don't need the capacity of the Starlight. I don't use the extension collar of the Comet even when going out for 10 days.

I tried the SMD Lunar Solo for a couple of summers, but then sold it. When they call it a solo tent, they mean just that--it is not designed for solo human plus 80-lb. dog! It wasn't just space, but that the two of us completely overwhelmed the ventilation system, resulting in major condensation.