Originally Posted By nsgrossman
chipmac,

that's a pretty cool looking design. Why the extended bottom to your chimney pipe if you don't mind me asking. I've notice a few people doing this but didn't really understand why you'd prefer that over say sheet metal removable legs. Also, do you have any trouble with smoke, either from the door (you mentioned feeding wood as it burned) or from the flap for your kettle.

Thanks!
-Nate

The chimney has the weight of the tarp on it, so it has to rest on the ground.The tapered sections of the tapered chimney are joined with tapered 4" sleeves that get tight when they are slid over the joint. The chimney is more secure than a loose chimney siting in a stove with a stove jack that can jerk up and down in the wind. When a stove has 4 legs they have to be supported in melting snow. I now use a bottom base for the chimney that has a notch to fit a long piece of fire wood to bridge melted snow or be handles to adjust postion of a hot stove.
The fire has to be watched, if the wood out side is not pushed in it will start to burn at the door way. I cannot remember smoking thru the kettle hole, when the kettle is not there the flap is shut. The chimney has good draw as it is oversized for the stove. Check my other posts to see my tarp shelter.

See also, http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53145

Any questions are welcome
Thankyou, Arlen

Edited by chimpac (11/08/09 03:37 PM)