Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I use compression sacks for two reasons: 1) I am small and packs that fit me simply are small. Compression sacks allow me to fit all gear inside and not have to hang stuff off the outside. 2) Weight distribution in your pack is just as important as total weight. Poorly distributed weight feels much heavier. Compression sacks keep the center of gravity of the pack closer to your back -thus less of a "lever arm" factor that pulls you backwards. As for weight - I use the light REI or Granite Gear ones - they really do not weigh much more than regular sacks. I use one for my sleeping bag and one for clothing.

I'm with WD on this one - for the same reason - I use the OR helium sacks - one for my sleeping bag. and often one for clothing - especially if I'm doing an extended weekender with a very small (i.e. 30l) pack. i.e. above treeline with my little MEC alpinelite 30 bag.

I also prefer my sleeping bag in a little brick in a silnylon sack rather than loosely packed st-colin style in the bottom, as if/when any water gets into the pack I don't end up with a wet bag/clothing.

However many quite sane and experienced people will disagree with me - I find this is one of the things many people have differing styles with.

Edited by phat (10/30/09 01:06 AM)
Browse my pictures