I should clearify - 71 pages of maps -- I basically divided each USGS 7.5-minute map into four maps with one page per quarter of a map. This is necessary if one is to have a chance of really being able to read a map on a 5.5 x 8.5 inch book page. I am sure my method is very tedious - but it works with the software I have.

1) scan my own USGS maps. I have a scanner that is perfect to scan each map quarter. This eliminates any copyright issues. I have a sign-off from USGS on this. I had to be careful not to scan at too high a resolution. I wanted each quarter map to a size that could be used in WORD as a "picture" rather than metafile.

2) Import each map to Excel. Use the drawing package in Excel to make route marks and label stuff. I used Excel simply because I am very familiar with it and for me, it works well. The only problem that I have yet to figure out is that a .jpg that is imported into Excel gets distorted - becomes wider.

3) Copy as "picture" into WORD. You have to highlight the "Cells" behind the maps to get the map and overlying drawing. Here is another problem - this creates a large file that loads slowly, so I did each map as a separate page. Now I fix the distortion by expanding the vertical size of the "image". This distorts the lettering in the drawing - just choose a font that will compensate.

4) PDF the WORD page into a 5.5 x 8.5 book page size. This is what goes to my printer. I had to use the "optomize for portability" font option so that the drawing lines are correct.