Originally Posted By midnightsun03

As a side note, most SAR teams have, or are adopting, SAR TECH II certification as a minimum requirement for operation-level members. SAR TECH II is a standard curriculum taught by NASAR. Part of their requirement is to carry a kit as they specify in the training (including 2 quarters to use in that payphone that you'll find on top of the mountain or in the middle of the wilderness), so the lightweight mantra may still take a few years to integrate.

Lori: any more training experiences?

One of the trainers mentioned the NASAR list - told us to google it. I wondered what the quarters were for! LOL!

I went today to a couple hours of walking around with a GPS with the main trainer. I told her I was looking at the 18 oz Tarptent Sublite for a couple of reasons, my own included, and I emailed Henry asking if he would do a group or SAR discount. The trainer was very interested especially since we tend to search all night and sleep a few hours in the morning (the premise being that people stop walking at night). The tyvek Sublite would provide shade without heating up like nylon does, and it would fend off rain well enough for a nap. It also works with the poles we all carry anyway. She tends to carry a full tent with her as she is like me, not really into hedging bets and preferring bugnetting.

She also was impressed by the poncho tarp but did say it would be shredded in minutes and the guy would be out an expensive poncho if he did wear it for rain gear - all the grid searching is through whatever is there, teams crawl through manzanita if they have to.

I'm probably heading up to the military surplus for pants and possibly some shirts - no sense shredding my nice light zipoffs. Might look at the rain options there as well.

http://hikeandbackpack.com