Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By ndsol
If you are looking for the "best/most trusted" then don't use Aquamira liquid since it is not intended for our needs as backpackers. The only liquid solution I know of that is a purifier is what is made by the MSR Miox.

I'll call bovine scatology on that:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_mcnett.html

Not clear to me what there is *not* designed for backpackers.

I've used the pristine brand of this for years. aquamira is the exact same thing. I'm not sure what ndsol's problem with it is, but trust me it works just fine and a lot of people use it. Read the directions and use it appropriately.

The brand is basically irrelevant - look for "chlorine dioxide" - in either tablet or liquid mix form. PUR makes some of the same thing too, as does katydyn micropur, etc.

Did you look at the manufacturer’s website that I linked to for AquaMira? That would explain my concerns about Aquamira liquid for backpackers. The link you refer to is a secondary source and is old as it still refers to McNett as the manufacturer. The website you linked to states, “Laboratory studies continue to show that McNett Aqua Mira (AquaMira) is effective against viruses and protozoa. The US Environmental Protection Agency is evaluating these claims and approval is pending.” But after years, approval was never forthcoming.

Look to what the manufacturer has to say. Don’t you think that Aquamira would promote its liquid if it could be called a purifier?

Aquamira’s website has this to say about its tablets: “When used as directed, Aquamira Water Purifier Tablets meet the EPA guidelines for Microbiological Water Purifiers making it the safest solution on the market. Great for weekend hiking, camping, hunting, or fishing trips.” Nothing of the sort is stated for the liquid.

I was always hearing before from others that it was just a bureaucratic issue about EPA registering and that it didn’t mean much. I always thought that if Aquamira wasn’t willing to have proper laboratory studies to get it EPA registered, then they didn’t care enough for my needs. Now that they have gotten their tablets registered, a different picture seems to be painted. The drops don’t meet EPA guidelines and, therefore, don’t qualify as “the safest solution on the market” as they promote for their tablets.

I just don’t want backpackers out there using the liquid and having a false sense of security. As such, the brand is not irrelevant. A certain concentration level and contact time is needed. A weak mixture of chlorine dioxide just isn’t going to kill the nasties.