The Tyvek coverall is for whatever it needs to be for, either rain or wind protection for myself, replacement clothing for my subject, vapor barrier liner to increase warmth in a sleeping bag or AM bivy, groundcloth if nothing else. I believe the one I have is hooded, which helps keep in body heat too, so that is a big reason behind it. It is such a lightweight yet versatile piece of "clothing" that it makes no sense NOT to carry it. I also have a cotton painters hood in my pack too to wear under the tyvek for increased neck/head protection, or could be used to help hold bandages in place for a head wound. Another piece of cheap, light and disposable clothing that makes no sense not to carry.

Most of what we do are body recoveries. In AK we have to share SAR with the Air National Guard 212th squadron (The Jolly Green Giant of Vietnam fame), but they only go in for the live saves. In town the Fire Department wants to be the heros (not to dis them, I have good friends in the FD), so they respond to anything in the front range. We're a part of the Troopers, so we get called out for extensive ground searches (not many happen) or highly technical search/recoveries where the weather is too poor for air response. Our biggest call-outs are for avalanches. Needless to say we do more body recoveries than anything. A couple years ago we recovered the body of a hunter who died of natural causes while hiking. We had to bring in Llamas to help bring him off the mountain. It can get interesting sometimes.

I think I have one of your alky stoves in my 24-hour pack. Didn't you participate in one of the West Coast Earthling boxes?

MNS