Originally Posted By oldranger
Coming kind of late to this discussion, but I want to commend your for volunteering. Beware! -SAR can be very addictive.

There are a lot of good suggestions here, but I would recommend looking carefully at what older members of the team have found to be useful in your area and on your operations. In your training has anyone reviewed past operations and lessons learned from them?

There hasn't been a lot of review of past operations in the trainings I've been to re: equipment... I do have their basic gear list. They do say prepare for the unexpected overnight. I think I am more prepared than most, actually, judging from questions of others.

The problem is partially that the old members of the team who are not directly involved in trainings are not present, at least at the meeting I went to. I responded to a recruitment drive to replace the defunct membership.

I have a couple headlamps and some very simple and light stove/pot setups. I could probably partially equip others, but there is also the team gear, they do have a lot of stuff like GPS and radios they hand out, so I expect that tweaking my personal gear list won't be that hard.

Quote:

Volunteer SAR is the most useful, most fulfilling activity I have ever undertaken. I hope you will find it to be the same. Best of luck.

Thanks for your suggestions. smile Our local team has already found a couple of people in good shape and some in not so good shape this year - there are parts of the work that I am somewhat dreading, like the possibility of finding deceased folk shocked but I do like working with diverse teams, and this is a pretty diverse lot.

[/quote]

http://hikeandbackpack.com