I think this is a great idea for a thread, and the results might be a good thing to point beginning beginning backpackers at. Because style absolutely informs gear choices (or should ...), and beginners naturally focus on what sort of gear they should get. With often little context to think about the ways in which they might end up using it.

My base style fundamentally changed when I decided I wanted to do longer distance trips, such that I now sort of approach any trip in that general way and just make trip-specific adjustments as necessary. I.e., go with the lowest base weight I reasonably can carry and still feel safe and sufficiently comfortable in camp, keep things simple, tend to want to spend less time in camp and more time on the trail.

Fortunately, my wife was open to the benefits of such changes and she's adapted well so that I don't have to change much when I do backpacking trips with her. And with lighter "shared gear" stuff it's no longer a big deal apportioning out who carries the water treatment, who carries the stove and cook pot, who carries the tent, etc.