The area I'm in is pretty large, and we also do searches in town - Alzheimers folk and the like. Apparently we also help in Yosemite sometimes.

I might already be hooked - the tracking class was kind of fun, and the instructor said I had an "eye" for it.

I've looked at those emergency bivies... the oldtimers appear to carry the heavy reinforced blankets. I don't know that it will ever come to pass that I'm out there on my own with a lost person, however. It's a fairly large group and efforts are made to keep us a group, and it's quite likely there's supplies already in place to handle that. I might have to carry some of it but I don't think I'll need to worry about anyone but myself, in terms of acquiring stuff.

I know the gear will be slightly different than my normal light backpacking gear... I hope to be in a better position to make decisions on what I'll really need after this weekend.

http://hikeandbackpack.com