I hike solo 95% of the time.

I really like my trips to be a week or longer. I try to do long loops or "lollipop" routes when I can. Frequently I will drive to a remote area and stay for two weeks, dividing my time into two long hikes with a car camping interlude in the middle.

I also like to do PCT section hikes of 100 or more miles, when I can arrange for a drop-off and pick-up at either end. As an inducement to my wife to do one or both ends, I bait the hook with a camping trip she'll enjoy and maybe some day-hiking with her before I take off solo.

When I must resupply on a PCT section hike, my standard MO is to leave myself caches along the route near road crossings. This lets me stay out and not have to mess with hitchhiking or at the mercy of whatever food is available at the tiny towns or resorts near the PCT.

Thru-hiking is definitely not my style, though. Too grueling for me. I will take short hikes, but never a one-nighter.

I enjoy day-hikes, but four years ago I have decided the driving and carbon emissions required are a steep price to pay for a few hours on the trail. If it is part of a car-camping trip, I day hike often and happily. I really like day hikes where the trailhead is at the campground where I am staying. I only day hike a couple times a year driving from my home and back the same day.