Thanks, phat. I'm actually thinking again and wondering if springing for a Sublite (18 oz, full bug protection, made for the Sierras) wouldn't be the thing to do. I won't be sitting in one place for more than eight hours even if it's raining cats and dogs, and it'll work with the trekking poles.

And then I started looking at the Rainbow, 3+ seasons and 2 pounds.... It starts to become another round of gear geeking. I'll start out with just the tarp I have, a light groundsheet, and go from there.

And in light of the current weather forecast, in go rain pants, and a rain shell, both heavier than driducks. In thinking more about the stove situation, I'll be working with the Sierra cup, foil lid, and a small stove. I don't anticipate actually using the stove as the team leader will bring one for group use but I don't like going out without a way to heat water.

I'm used to people questioning my sanity. Gear geeks suffer for their art. Except somehow I'm the one who gets good sleep and has the coffee hot first thing in the morning. Go figure.

http://hikeandbackpack.com