Originally Posted By lori

I already have a couple of 3 season JRB quilts, not with head holes, but I've found the Hudson River to be equally comfortable in the temps I have experienced up there already - 50 to 25F night temps are common til late October. I'm not certified for winter searches yet and it will take time to be, so I'm not concerned about lower.

The Stealth is the right loft to wear under a wind shirt and DriDucks. The combination gives you deep winter warmth. The No Sniveller is no advantage because the wind shirt compresses the loft.

I won't have to carry food, but will have a ziplock of clif bars, beverages, and a mini atomic and a foster pot stove, in a carrying case made of ziploc screw tops that I can easily fit a cozy to and keep the beverage warm.

I prefer ESBIT because it makes a better fire starter. The alcohol is not much good below 40 unless you warm it with body heat. In the winter I carry the wing stove, wind screen and about a half dozen ESBIT in the pot - the lighter needs to be in your pocket. The other container is a two cup screw top ZipLoc with a cozy and inside are two Swiss Miss and two Lipton soups.

My concern is shelter at night, which is why I'm looking at things like the Wild Oasis or the Gatewood. I don't know that the driducks poncho will give enough coverage, it doesn't really work well as a poncho with a fully loaded backpack on either - not made for it. It has no loops for tying down either, I'd have to add them. I'm still thinking about taking the tarp and a lighter hammock, actually. It would make site selection a total breeze.

Oops, yes, mine has had the JRB Weather Shield Modification kit added. The stock poncho does not have stake loops. The poncho is just barely big enough for me at 5'10", but you need to watch out for sliding down hill during the night. I have a Gatewood Cape and it is a great product, however when you are on a high exposed ridge sometimes it is difficult to get stable enough anchors to hold it. I own an eVent bivy and actually prefer the DriDucks poncho in turtle mode. OK, I also own a lot of Ti pots, but carry the AGG 3 cup pot. The DriDucks poncho is pretty worthless as a hiking poncho, but is a great cover for the Stealth quilt in camp and makes a great over cover.