Mixed ideas... the Gatewood Cape is silnylon, the Driducks will shred in manzanita like tissue paper. And I'm not at all sure that either is truly what I'll need for the job - except the Central Sierras are not densely wooded, much of the time we are not crashing through trees but alders, manzanita and berry bushes - when we are not walking through open forest. The rain shell and pants I have are pretty sturdy, with zips in the usual spots. I'm thinking of packing everything in the Nimbus Ozone and using the compression straps to best advantage. Since the Granite Gear pack won in the Backpacker stress test, it'll probably manage okay. Hoping to keep it to about 20 lbs.

I'm already looking at wearing jeans or canvas instead of the usual zipoffs and probably a synthetic tee or base layer with a heavier buttondown, maybe cotton/nylon blend. One thing about the SAR, you are never alone and there is always the possibility of being transported back on the next jeep or copter if you are exhausted or hurt.

I already have a couple of 3 season JRB quilts, not with head holes, but I've found the Hudson River to be equally comfortable in the temps I have experienced up there already - 50 to 25F night temps are common til late October. I'm not certified for winter searches yet and it will take time to be, so I'm not concerned about lower.

I have a GG 1/4" and a regular old blue ccf. Will probably trim the ccf to torso length, it's about an inch thick, and stuff it in the pack. I won't have to carry food, but will have a ziplock of clif bars, beverages, and a mini atomic and a foster pot stove, in a carrying case made of ziploc screw tops that I can easily fit a cozy to and keep the beverage warm.

My concern is shelter at night, which is why I'm looking at things like the Wild Oasis or the Gatewood. I don't know that the driducks poncho will give enough coverage, it doesn't really work well as a poncho with a fully loaded backpack on either - not made for it. It has no loops for tying down either, I'd have to add them. I'm still thinking about taking the tarp and a lighter hammock, actually. It would make site selection a total breeze.

http://hikeandbackpack.com