I used to maintain a preparedness/bugout supply & thought system pretty well, but now I'm the least prepared I've been for 30yrs or more.

In my current environment, Phoenix metro, with kids sometimes with the ex. & sometimes with me or scattered doing whatever, it would be worse to try & bugout, in almost any conceivable disaster, than to just hunker down in place. I have some water storage & a little food. I located myself within walking distance of the kids school and use the 1/2 tank mark as my 'empty' in my vehicle, so I can always drive at least 150mi if I have to, but...

I can't see being able to drive away from anything. We'd just be bogged down in a freeway parking lot with desperate, unorganized, unprepared people without the moral benchmarks they used to have and a paralyzed fire/police/emergency response system.
I've been up I-17 on holiday weekends & it's a nightmare.
I've been up hwy 87 on Labor day weekend & it's a nightmare.
I've been down I-10 on holidays & it's a nightmare.

Yesterday I took the kids to their football teams away game. What a nightmare of rush hour traffic!
A disaster would be far worse & the roads would almost certainly be impassible.

I hate to imagine a summertime (100'F+) bugout surrounded by people with guns that ran out of water yesterday.
Bringing down the power grid would be enough set the stage. No power = no water pressure out here.

Staying would be bad, but leaving worse.
And Payson, AZ can't take a million needy people anyway.

Edited by coyotemaster (09/19/09 06:12 PM)