I appreciate all of your points. I posted my question not mainly to state my own opinion, but to find out how others feel about this issue. I have learned from the replies.

Saving money is not my only objective. We have all learned what happens when a cheap retailer runs all the smaller stores out of town. We all lose in the end.

I think my points are about as valid as others'. That reflects that there is a real dilemma afoot---how to offer consumers good products and service, at reasonable cost to consumers and reasonable profit to retailers. This is the challenge to all enterprises in our economy. The winners are the retailers who think creatively to lower the cost of goods while making a fair profit. That is most difficult for the small local retailer. Of course I want to see those small stores survive. The question is how to do that within my own limited economic means.

I recently bought a kayak from a very small local shop. I chose that shop because they had both the best price and the best service. That winning combination means they have enough customers to make a profit, even while maintaining low prices.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is fair treatment of small retailers by manufacturers. The responsibility for supporting small local shops doesn't rest only with consumers. We have not addressed why prices are so high at local shops in the first place.

In this day and age, expanding one's business via the internet is an option that is available to most shops. Recently I bought a backpack from a shop that did nothing more than phone the manufactuer and ask them to send me the pack. The transaction involved virtually no overhead cost for the retailer. How can small local shops compete with internet retailers? By joining them.