Originally Posted By Pinecone
I feel I must wear boots because I have some extra body weight and one bad ankle and need the support of boots.
<snip> Crocs are very light, easy to clp to your pack, and a joy around camp after a long day on the trail.

If you have actual medical advice, I'm reluctant to contradict. However, there is a strong weight of opinion that one doesn't normally need "ankle support" and that such support may actually be counter productive to re-establishing strength and proper gait, as well as increasing the potential for some injuries in some situations. With lighter shoes, you are also likely to be more agile thus avoiding some potential injuries, as well.

A good orthotic in a lightweight trail shoe can be very suppportive. I can recommend Superfeet although I am now a Featherspring convert.

As you move to lighter pack weight, you'll be able to move to liighter shoes, as well. Remember 1 lb on your foot equals maybe 5 on your back.

Crocks are nice -- but around here, they are considered medium weight, not lightweight. I think they weight something like 8-9 oz?