Not all wilderness areas allow loose dogs! There are a number that require leashes. There are others that require leashes or strict voice control. Does your dog always come back to your side when you call him? Can you stop him from chasing large or small game?

Even the sweetest dog can become overprotective or turn into a fear biter when in unfamiliar places. Then there's the classic bear scenario--dog barks at bear, bear gets mad and chases dog, dog runs to owner for protection. Finally, here in the Columbia River Gorge we have several dogs falling off cliffs each year because the owners don't leash them and the dogs get too close to the edge.

The only times my dog is off-leash are when he's following behind me on the trail (when he goes in front he keeps stopping suddenly to sniff--one time I barely missed falling on him with full pack) or when I can see far enough in all directions to know that there are no wild animals or other hikers or horse parties just around the corner. And, of course, only when it's legal for him to be off-leash.

I've been in several hazardous scenarios when my dog is on leash and we meet someone with an off-leash dog.

Sometimes the small dogs are worse than the big ones--they are a lot noisier and seem more apt to bite!

Edited by OregonMouse (09/05/09 08:50 PM)