Originally Posted By Heintooga
I'm considering equiping for some Smokies winter trips. In looking at the WM spec chart I see some discrepancies.
VersaLite...6'6" 10° F 6" 63"/54"/39"
Antelope....6'6" 5° F 7" 63"/54"/39"
Kodiak......6'6" 0° F 7" 67"/58"/41"
In looking at these numbers closely one would think that either the Versalite is 'optimistic' or the Antelope is underrated. I had an older Marmot Helium that had similar dimensions as the Versalite and in comparison I'm thinking the Versalite is optimistic and the Antelope the more accurate, particularly when considering the shell materials. What do you good folk think?

I'd go with the manufacturer's judgement -- assuming the manufacturer is competent and honest, which WM seems to have the reputation for. I'm in a completely different market niche, but I get this kind of thing all the time where people (particularly engineering types) are willing to stack a set of numbers up against reality. In reality, there are always more factors at play than can be quantified in measurements of a single dimension or factor.

(Note, I'm not anti-scientific or saying that reality can't in principle be quantified. All those factors that go into intuition and experience probably can. It's just that those other dimensions haven't been quantified so some people don't think they are real.)