Hi folks,

I just registered on this site and have made some use of the search feature and I gotta say, this place is great. I’m new to the world of backpacking. My only backcountry experience has been taking canoe trips to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota. Our last trip was a few weeks ago when we went for 7 days. Had an absolute blast but after 3 trips there, we’ve decided we need to branch out because there’s too much of this beautiful country we have not seen. We really want to do some backcountry hiking to get a true sense of what’s out there away from the masses.

For our first trip, we’re looking to hit up Yosemite next July/August. We really want to hit up Half Dome (not away from the masses, but kind of “have to” right?) but since that’s really only 2 days (1 if we really want to get after it), we want to take some other trails for 4-5 additional backcountry days. As things stand now, I have the following gear that could be used for this trip:
- Tent: TNF Tadpole 23 (I also have an REI Taj3 that I may let some others on our trip use if they want to carry it, but she’s bulky)
- Sleeping bag: TNF 40 degree bag (not sure of the specific name)
- Sleeping pad: Exped DownMat 7 dlx (I know it’s excessive, but man is this thing comfortable. Bought for use in the BW where most “carrying” is done by the canoe so I’ll probably opt for something lighter)
- Stove: Primus EtaPower EF (includes stove, windscreen, pot w/ heat exchanger and lid/frying pan, gripper, small canister of fuel all fits in pot w/ lid; will leave the case at home)
- Headlamp
- Water filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro and tablets as back-up
- Rain gear: Marmot Precip jacket & full zip pants
- Saw: 21” sven saw (Will probably leave this at home. Is there really any need for a saw on trips like this or is it easy enough to grab stuff lying around and break up by hand/foot?)
- Small first aid kit

Obviously I have other things like clothes, boots, etc but those are the high-hard ones. Some things I still need to get (besides a clue smile )
- Pack: going to do a lot of research on this and from what I’ve read here, it’s best to get all the gear out of the way first so you know what needs to be put inside. Potentially, I’ll take all my gear to some place like REI to see what would be the best fit. Will likely opt for something with a space to hold a bladder.
- Bear canister. I know I can rent one, but I prefer having my own stuff.
- Trekking poles: Would you call these necessities or luxuries? Like I said, never backpacked before so I’m a true newbie on this.

We have a ton of time before our trip next July/August but from my Boundary Waters experience, I’ve found that planning the trip and acquiring gear is half the fun. I’m really trying to keep expenditures to a minimum so please be gentle on critiquing my existing list. smile For instance, though I could go lighter on the stove, what I have is fine for my first backpacking trip IMO. My BW pack weighed in around 50 pounds but it was a big bulky sucker, as canoe packs tend to be. I’d like to keep my total weight, including food and water to around 35 pounds if possible.

Another thing I’ve found is that smaller packs make you pack lighter. If your pack has room in it, you’ll find something to fill that space. Given that, do you guys have any topline suggestions on packs I should look at? Though we won’t be backcountry for more than 5 days, I’d like to get a pack that would serve me well for at least 7 days for future use. I will likely keep future trips to summertime, though flexibility in seasons would be nice. What size would be best to hold the above gear (with some tweaks for a few lightweight upgrades like different sleeping pad) and enough food for 2 guys for a week. In terms of food, if it can’t fit in the bear canister, it doesn’t come on the trip so that’s easy. Will likely be eating mountain house type foods that are “just add water” meals plus snacks like bars & trail mix.

Any help you guys could provide would be great. From the short time I’ve been looking through this site, I can tell I’ll be using this as a wonderful resource so thanks to whomever started this up and to the moderators as well. (and sorry for the long-winded first post)