If stream crossings (or general foot-wetting) is rare and the stream easy to cross and the water visibility allows the bottom to be seen, I might take off shoes and socks to cross, else my strategy is like yours was (Paul), except for the changing into dry socks on the other side --- just walk through, and walk the shoes (and socks) dry.

Lots of people do this, and it's not just about stream crossings, but also walking in wet weather with porous shoes.

Everyone's feet are different, so I can't comment on why you got blisters from this (assuming clear causality) and others don't. I don't, at any rate. You might look at the particular spots where you got blisters and then look at your shoes at that spot --- maybe another shoe would be a solution (?).

What kind of socks: I typically wear just a thin, quick-to-dry liner sock, such as Fox River x-static liner socks. Sometimes I wear injinji's, but most commonly a single liner sock. Of course if it's cold out, a pair of wool socks go over those; they stay wet a long time, but retain warmth.

I've used seal skinz and goretex socks. I don't find the sealskinz keep me warm enough (over wool socks) to warrant carrying them. Goretex socks are nice in snow; for rain/wet they can be okay too, but a second pair of wool socks might be a better way to spend that bit of "weight allowance".