The bag I use is a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite. It is rated for 20* which is a meaningless number to me. Although I can take it down to 15* and be comfortable, my wife is the opposite. She has to have a bag that has a much colder rating. If its 30 or 40 out, she'll take a 15* bag. Your better off, probably to take a little "extra bag" than to have less. But for me, I've been sleeping out in the woods a long time and am comfortable with what I carry.

You may not need a 0* bag for your area, but I am not familiar with it. We have pretty mild winters in Missouri and Arkansas. In Northern Arkansas, 7o* days are not uncommon in December. Not a whole lot of moisture.

I use a 1.5" Thermarest Prolite while on the trail. Sometimes with a thin 1/8" foam mat underneath it.

I'm not advertising for Western Mountaineering or Thermarest. It's just what I have found that works well for me. I am unfamiliar with other mfg's.

Try the stuff out in the backyard before you head out. If it fails, a hot cup of coffee is a few steps away.

Jon