Hi, Dryer. I think we're pretty much on the same page, so far as thought process; where we differ is on a) how far to take the lighten-up process and 2) whether to rely on manufacturers or take matters into our own hands (pun intended!) We definitely both want to be comfortable for the lowest possible weight.

I'd definitely put you into the category of ultralight. I like that category, and wish I could get there; I've tried, and just can't quite find that right blend of gear that works for me - it's personal preferences, not the fault of any of the gear. Ultralight works - with the exception of a couple of ill-conceived experiments involving closed-cell foam pads and bare sandstone ledges, I was never uncomfortable using ultralight gear. If you can achieve the right mix of gear, and if it suits you, ultralight works well. I'm just not there - yet. I keep hoping...

But the meat-and-potatoes of this website seems, to me, to be light instead of ultralight, with a nice hint of ultralight seasoning to it. The main emphasis of the site seems to be helping folks who carry the 40 - 50 pound traditional loads get down into the 20 - 30 range. The ultralight insight provided by you and several others keep pulling those of use with those 20 - 30 pound loads down toward 10 - 20 pound loads. And that's a pretty good blend of points of view, in my opinion. The other nice thing is that none of us are zealots - everyone gets to hike their own hike, but we're all willing to learn from the others and adapt what works for us. Well, maybe not Jim... wink (Sorry, Jim, it was just too good to resist!)

As far as relying on manufacturers, I do so because they're much better at building gear than I am. (I've tried a couple of projects; they end up looking - and working - like I made them. Not good.) I've been lucky in that much of the gear I have now is made like it was designed for me and the way I hike. If you have the skill, I highly recommend making your own gear; I envy your ability to do so.

Because of the blend of personality and perspective, and the lack of "my way or the wrong way" attitudes, this is by far my favorite, and most useful, backpacking site.