I am located in southern california and I am planning a trip around the west coast. I am actually gonna be moving to another country for a couple of years in September so I figure it would be a good time to go around and visit some friends. I plan to drive north to Washington, south-east to Utah, south to Arizona, then back to southern california. I'll be passing through Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Arizona on the way. I am going alone by the way.

I want to do some backpacking in each state as I pass through them. Probably only 2 days at a time. I've done a little bit of camping when I was very young, but other than that, I really have no experience in it.

I am thinking of going to Joshua Tree and King's Canyon in California. What are some good places to go to in the other states that I'll be passing through? Beginner trail suggestions would be appreciated. I want to plan it out as completely as I can before I head out.

I am not the type of person that needs much on trips. I just got back from a European trip with a small backpack. So I am thinking about carrying no more than 20 pounds. Since I'll probably be dealing with different types of environments, what kind of gear do you guys recommend? Assuming that money is not a big concern.

Do I really need to buy a stove if I am just going to be out for 2 nights max?
How much water should a beginner bring for 2 days?
I was thinking about getting a hammock instead of a bivy. Would a hammock work in a dessert environment?

Edited by damian kao (08/03/09 11:20 PM)