Yup, before Christmas there were boatloads of them and they and the G10 were available for $400. Since the new year supplies have been spotty and prices have been all over the map. For whatever reason, silver is often considerably cheaper than black. I don't think Panny understood they had a runaway hit on their hands and have never corrected the supply issue.

I've not seen the WSJ article, but it's true that the LX3 and DLux4 are identical other than the red dot, missing grip, software, and warranty length.

re. Your earlier comment, I've used the LX3 and G10 side by side (a friend owns the Canon) and they're really different critters. If the lens differences aren't the compelling reason to decide on one or the other, size and ergonomics should do the trick.

Originally Posted By TomK
Pertinent to your earlier statement about voting with your wallet, the LX3 has suddenly gone up in price at all the online places, over msrp. I think this is a result of a recent Wall Street Journal article stating that it was a steal compared to the identical Leica version.