I think that a mid-life crisis is mainly about not letting your whole life get plowed under as fertilizer to increase the harvest of others. You have to figure out a more equitable balance between what benefits your dependents and your employers and what benefits you.

Don't worry about dying. We all do that. No getting around that. Use what you have learned in the past couple of decades since becoming an adult to construct a better way to live the last few decades (knock on wood) of your life.

Running around in a tizzy and undoing everything you've done so far is not generally a good response to that challenge. Taking a good hard look at your priorities and what you need to change about them, and why, is a very good idea.

In my case, I quit an excellent job and spent several years just regaining my health and well-being after nearly two decades of fairly extreme (and wholly necessary) self-sacrifice. In my case, it was the right answer. Just as getting and keeping that job had been the right answer ten years earlier.