In my opinion, you should learn to use a compass before you start with any of the GPS technology. There are any number of books that will introduce you to map and compass techniques; just google orienteering as a start. You could get involved with a local orienteering group to learn map and compass techniques.

IIRC, Silva, a major maker of compasses offers a good introductory pamphlet on the subject. If you purchase a Silva compass, you get a copy of the pamphlet. My preference in compasses is the type with a sighting mirror. They will keep you on course and also let you check your face for zits.

In learning to use a compass, there are a number of essential skills to learn. Among these are: Following a compass bearing; finding ones location by triangulation; converting between magnetic and true bearings and estimating distance along a bearing by pacing.

GPS is useful but has its limitations and shortcomings. They are dependent on batteries and are a complex piece of electronics; don't drop one on rock. They are not always reliable beneath a heavy forest canopy or in steep-walled canyons. Finally, they are another gadget that one has to worry about. I used GPS professionally and liked it for some purposes. But for backpacking, on trails, I don't feel that they are worth the weight. I would never rely just on a GPS; I would always have a map and compass along as backup. If you use a map and compass well, there is seldom any need for the GPS.

Of course, there is the cool factor. If a person is interested in technology and likes to have state-of-the-art equipment then a GPS is the way to go. But for the simple country backpacker, it is more technology than necessary.