The gigapower with the snow peak cup is a nice setup. it will work fine for you, no need to change that.

As for food, well, I personally find I like the better brands of freeze dried stuff better than MRE meals, and they are a heck of a lot lighter. Some people do not. You can also do pretty good with dried ingredients from the grocery store, and/or a packet of chicken or tuna, etc. On average, I'd say
about 2/3 of the meals I eat backpacking are the purchased dehydrated variety, and about 1/3 are concocted myself, either as a freezer bag cooking style meal, or just with grocery store ingredients like dehydrated potatoes, jerky, tuna packets, instant rice, dehydrated hummous, pita bread, bagels, cheese, etc. etc.

Honestly, I'd take a look at a local outdoor store that sells them and try a few at home. I personally eat a fair number of the "Natural High" brand as well as the Mountain House propack stuff. I do add in things I make myself, or adapt from recepies I find on the net. see http://www.trailcooking.com/

Browse my pictures