Originally Posted By BarryP
Some of your calories should come from fats. It is necessary for the body. Unsaturated fat is the best; Olive oil lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol. I can’t see why your doctor would disagree ????

Apparently fat naturally occurs in food. For example I don't eat avocados, and I limit peanut butter. The doc in question is Dean Ornish. I call him my doc 'cause I read his book "How to Reverse Heart Disease". He presents the major research on heart disease. In addition, he designed a 4-prong program based on major research, combining beneficial factors for a healthy heart. One of the factors is a no-added-fat vegetarian diet. He does talk at length about oils, how olive oil is low in saturated fat, and canola oil is even lower. He says there's enough fat in foods for the body's uses, and limiting saturated fats is imperative for heart patients. He set up a research study using the 4 factors (the diet, exercise, stress reduction, social support), and the results were presented in the AMA Journal of Medicine a long time ago. He used very precise and somewhat invasive techniques to measure artery lumens (size of the opening in an artery cross-section), and other measurements, to track progress in the participating patients. Apparently all participants showed improvement in their condition, and the more they adhered to the program, the more improvements were achieved. Cessation of angina was universally quick in participants, and all participants who followed the program returned to active life, including backpacking, biking, hiking, etc. I don't know, I just read the book, it made sense to me at the time, and I can't quote what you need to hear about the oil question, since I don't have the book. But the next time you're in a major bookstore, find his book and use the index to find the info. I'm pretty sure it's about limiting the saturated fat.