Originally Posted By Pat-trick
Originally Posted By Pika
I think you are being a little optimistic about the amount of food you will be able to carry or you are underestimating the amount you will need... The last thing I want to do here is to discourage you from making the trip you are planning; I envy you the freedom. But, please take the reality of calorie requirements and the number of calories you can carry and find into your planning before you set out. You can easily start the trip with a well developed "reserve tank" or belly. Midriff fat contains 3500 calories per pound and will nicely supplement otherwise sparse rations. Hiking can be an excellent weight loss regimen but if you are already lean, you don't want to loose weight.

Yipes! I think you are right! I researched your figures (calories per ounce) and checked your math, and by golly, you are right! Darn it! Well, there's youthful enthusiasm for ya, running again into that brick wall of reality. I do weigh 225 pounds, so maybe that 15 pounds of food would be enough for a week, or less. I had thought that because my foods would be in "staple" form, that I would get more calories per pound out of them. Where do I come up with these ideas? confused So I guess the usual rule of thumb for weight of food per day per person applies even to me?? Is that what you're saying? I hate that! Well thank you for the reality check. It's probably better to know this stuff before I head out. thanks Perhaps I ought to think this through a little. <applause> I'm glad I ran this idea by some experienced backpackers. Maybe I'll hang out on the forum for a while, make a spreadsheet, do some calculations, before heading off on my grand adventure. I imagined myself the day after eating the quantity of berries you mentioned, and it wasn't a pretty picture! That must be why wild bears sh!t in the woods. They can't wait! hahaha. Looks like I have LOTS to learn yet.

It looks like you are trying to stay vegetarian for the food intake. Instead of discouraging you, I recommend adding some olive oil. That is still vegetarian, healthy, and packs a lot of calories for the weight.